Saturday, January 24, 2015

When a Wake up Call Becomes a Rude Awakening

I knew it had to be done. I knew what would happen if I didn't get to it soon. Still I gave myself a reprieve and promised that one day I will get it done, turn and walk away. On to more pressing things. Over and over and over again. 

Then, late one evening, popcorn in lap, spell-binding Netflix movie on the TV screen, I hear a crash. "Oh, NOOOOO," I think "I put it off just one day too long."  A quick trip to the bedroom closet confirms my worst imaginings.... the shelf on one side of our closet has collapsed from weight and contents are spilled across the floor in a big heap. 

I could barely sleep that night thinking and planning the steps of reconstruction and how I would organize a major speed-listing campaign to sell all this excess on eBay as I had been promising myself I would. 

Truth is sometimes things are not as bad as they seem. My darling husband was able to get the shelf remounted (and fortified) without so much as a trip to the hardware store and in one day I was able to do a pretty thorough job of sorting everything into keep, donate and sell piles. The items to sell (from the collapse) were rehung from the new fortified shelf and I sorted out an armful of things from the other side of the closet to join them. By the end of the next day I had listed 10 of these items (some never worn) and feeling very smug about it all. 

This won't happen overnight, but my sense of urgency was added to when eBay started a "list FREE for 4 days" promotion. 

Time to get to work. Check out my progress at my Sixties_Chick store on eBay.

No comments: