Thursday, January 15, 2015

Being a Cool Kid of the Sixties

I remember it like it was yesterday. Sitting on a grassy hill outside the dormitory secretly listening to Elvis Presley on my red transistor radio and feeling like I was truly a cool kid.

Having a transistor radio was as liberating as having a cell phone is for kids today. The idea of listening to "our" music; Rock 'n Roll, without parental disapproval was true freedom.

All these memories came flooding back to me when I saw the little Tercel Transistor radio in its brown leather case and I had to buy it. I spied it from across the room at a community rummage sale and could not get over there fast enough.

After allowing the pleasant memories to flow, fingering the soft leather case, and mentally celebrating Elvis' 80th birthday this week, I am ready to let it go on to the next child of the Sixties.

No comments: